Starting to Use Cloth Nappies in New Zealand: A Sustainable and Practical Choice for Parents
New Zealand is a country renowned for its stunning natural beauty and commitment to sustainability. As parents, one of the most significant choices we can make to reduce our environmental impact is to switch to cloth nappies. Cloth nappies are reusable, cost-effective, and have come a long way in terms of practicality and convenience. Here is everything you need to know about starting to use cloth nappies in New Zealand.
Why Choose Cloth Nappies?
The environmental benefits of cloth nappies are undeniable. Disposables can take up to 500 years to break down in landfill, and with over 140 million nappies going to landfill in New Zealand every year, this is a significant issue. In contrast, cloth nappies can be washed and reused hundreds of times, significantly reducing waste.
Cloth nappies are also cost-effective, with savings of up to $2,000 per child over the course of their nappy-wearing years. Plus, with the rise of modern cloth nappies, they are now easier to use and wash than ever before.
What Types of Cloth Nappies are Available in NZ?
There are several types of cloth nappies available in New Zealand, including:
- Prefolds and Covers: These are the traditional cloth nappies that your parents may have used. Prefolds are a rectangular piece of fabric that is folded and then secured around your baby’s bottom with a cover.
- Fitted Nappies: Fitted nappies are shaped like a disposable nappy and come with elasticated legs and a waterproof cover. They are easy to use and come in a range of sizes.
- Pocket Nappies: Pocket nappies have a waterproof outer layer and an absorbent inner layer that can be stuffed with inserts. They are easy to use and come in a range of fun colours and prints.
- All-In-One Nappies: All-in-one nappies are the closest to disposables in terms of ease of use. They have a waterproof outer layer and an absorbent inner layer sewn together, making them simple to put on and take off.
How Do You Wash Cloth Nappies?
Washing cloth nappies is simple, and most modern cloth nappies can be machine washed. Here are some tips to make the process as easy as possible:
- Remove any solid waste from the nappy before placing it in your nappy bucket or wet bag.
- Run a cold rinse cycle before washing to help remove any stains or smells.
- Wash at 60 degrees Celsius to kill any bacteria.
- Avoid fabric softeners, which can affect the absorbency of the nappy.
- Line dry where possible, as this is the most eco-friendly option.
Final Thoughts on using cloth nappies in New Zealand
Switching to cloth nappies is a sustainable and practical choice for parents in New Zealand. With a range of types and brands available, it has never been easier to make the switch. By choosing cloth nappies, we can reduce our environmental impact, save money, and provide a healthier and more comfortable option for our babies. Find out more by coming to one of our events over Cloth Nappy Week.